“If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Transporter’s Mode of Transportation (Part II)

I’m still very much feeling the Jason Statham fever today so I feel like continuing the post about the cars he used in his movies. This time it’s all about The Transporter 2. And if you wait long enough, maybe in 2009 I’ll write about the cars that’ll be used in the third installment. But that would have to wait. Maybe it’s the cars and not the actor that I really like. Oh, well! Anyhow, the second installment was released in 2005. I know it’s about 3 years old already, but I feel my auto-blog won’t be complete without it, or am I just bein’ too melodramatic? I’ve already started it so I might as well finish it.

Audi A8 (W12 6.0)

I mistook the first car Jason Statham used in the movie for an Audi A8, but it turned out to be a 1999 Black BMW 735i. This time around, he did use an Audi A8. And get this: he uses it to transport a rich guy’s kid to and from school. That’s a $120,000 car. He might as well have used a limo while he’s at it. But then again those types of cars are not built for quick getaways. Compared to the first car, this one’s more fuel-efficient especially in highway driving. It is able to go as far as 23 miles on a gallon. It has a 6.0 L, W-12 engine that’s able to produce 450 hp. And that’s surprising given the fact that it’s more fuel-efficient than cars which are less powerful than it. It is highly maneuverable because it has a 6-speed automatic transmission with overdrive. In the hands of Frank Martin (Statham’s character) it becomes one mean machine.

Lamborghini Murciélago Roadster

If the Audi A8 W12 is fuel-efficient, the Lamborghini Murcielago Roadster clearly isn’t. It can only travel half of what the former can travel on one gallon of gas, and maybe even less. So what’s the big deal with this car? For one, billionaires love to drive ‘em. Also, in the movie you’d see that it can catch up to a helicopter and even a jet which is about to take-off. It’s mainly because the Murcielago can reach speeds of up to 211 mph with its 6.5 L, V-12 engine. I’ve featured this in a previous post and I’ve stated that it was also used in Batman Begins as the car that Bruce Wayne, billionaire extraordinaire, favors. And you know what, I get the feeling that whenever there is a chase scene in any action flick, there has to be a Lamborghini in there somewhere. And it’s always the good guy who gets to drive it. You’ve seen it in The Rock, Bedazzled, Die Another Day, Gone in 60 Seconds, The Italian Job and even Dumb and Dumber. That’s a list of very exceptional movies, if you ask me.

Audi A3 Sportback 3.2 Quattro

I don’t remember seeing this one in the movie, although I remember it being mentioned in an interview about the movie before. It’s far less economical than the Audi A8 and smaller. It’s actually too petite for my taste. But being in the movie, it deserves a spot in my post. It’s half the size of the A8 even in fuel capacity. It also has a V-6 which is again half the number of cylinders the Audi A8 has. At first glance, it would not seem to be something that Frank Martin would drive. But, in reality it is a good car. Its top speed is 250 km/h and it can accelerate from 0-100 kmh in just 6.6 seconds. That’s not bad at all.

0 comments: