“If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Transporter’s Mode of Transportation

I love watchin’ movies that star Jason Statham. Ever since I saw the movie, The Transporter, I’ve been turned into a huge fan. It was only then that I remembered seeing him in other movies that I like, some of which are The One, Snatch, Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. These three preceded the release of The Transporter in ’02, and he only played supporting roles. Afterwards, there was the second installment of The Transporter, then Crank and, finally, the Bank Job. There were a couple of movies in between, but the aforementioned are the ones I really liked. I like Jason Statham’s movies for the same reason I like Bruce Willis’ and Sylvester Stallone’s movies – the adrenaline-pumping action. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve watched the Die Hard and Rambo Series. And I haven’t felt more excited when I heard the news last year of a fourth installment for both series. And there is a rumor circulating about a Rambo V in the offing. How great is that?! Well, anyway, Jason Statham is almost always portrayed as a cold, calculating and smart killing machine in his movies. In real life, he has studied martial arts, is a great diver and is an exceptional driver; that’s why he does all the driving and the fight scenes in his movies. And since we’re on the topic, I’d just like to talk about the cars used in his movies, particularly in The Transporter. I think it’s but fitting since this is an auto-blog, so here goes:

1999 Black BMW 735i

The first time I saw the car Frank Martin (Statham’s character in The Transporter) drives, I initially thought it was an Audi A8. But in the beginning sequences of the movie, he specifically said that it’s a 1999 Black BMW 735i. And, whew, what a car that was! It was sleek and fast. It even had interchangeable license plates to confuse the police and those following him. Now, that is very useful when you are evading traffic enforcers. There were a lot of shots taken of the interior of the car, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the dash kits and seats were made of leather. There were also a lot of buttons on the driver’s console. Actually there’s too much, if you ask me. It was bordering on becoming labeled as a Bond car. But, its best features are its amazing handling and power. After the first scene with the bank robbers, his car came out without a single scratch because he was able to maneuver the car perfectly. Hmmm, I wonder if that’s really the case.

1999 7-Series 750iL

The following year after the release of The Transporter, a DVD was released which includes never before seen action sequences and a documentary. It was revealed that the car isn’t really a 1999 Black BMW 735i, but rather a 1999 7-Series 750iL. The difference is basically in the detailing of the two vehicles, but when seen from afar they look the same. That could account for the mistake, but maybe it was all part of the storyline. Anyway, the 750IL has a 5.4L V-12 engine capable of producing 322 hp at 5,000 rpm. That alone spells power.

Mercedes-Benz W140

Bad guys wrecked his 1999 7-Series 750 IL. There’s no better way to get back at them than taking their luxurious Mercedes-Benz W140. Talk about payback. This bad boy features premium components geared towards enhanced comfort, convenience and safety. It is also integrated with enhanced drivetrain technologies. And don’t get me started on its specs. Judging from the V12 engine that it has, it’s safe to say it’s one mean machine. Frank Martin sure has good taste.

0 comments: