“If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Movie Time: Taking a Break from All the “Car-Talk”

A G. I. Joe movie is in production, and it is set to be released in 2009. As soon as I heard about the movie, I quickly searched online. The rumors are true, and I haven’t seen myself as excited about a movie as I am now. I did not grow up watching the G. I. Joe animated series, but I did own a couple of Hasbro toys. I can’t seem to find them now. I would have shared them with my son, and tell him something about G. I. Joe (about how they are an elite group of military men, originally formed to protect oil interests overseas). I don’t know how much of that is true. All I know is they are good role models, and compared to the shows my son is watching now, G. I. Joe will definitely get my thumbs up. I watched Transformers, the movie, with my son; we’re definitely gonna line-up in the movie house during the first week of this movie.

Here is a peek at the cast and crew of the movie. Some of the information is still subject to change because it is still in production (and I do hope they replace the other cast members)

Cast:
Channing Tatum ... Duke
Dennis Quaid ... General Hawk
Dwayne Johnson ... Hector 'Shipwreck' Delgado (rumored)
Joseph Gordon-Levitt ... Cobra Commander
Brendan Fraser ... Gung Ho (rumored)
Rachel Nichols ... Shana 'Scarlett' O'Hara
Sienna Miller ... The Baroness
Ray Park ... Snake Eyes
Jonathan Pryce ... U.S. President
Christopher Eccleston ... Destro
Arnold Vosloo .. Zartan
Marlon Wayans ... Ripcord
Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje... Heavy Duty
Saïd Taghmaoui ... Breaker
Byung-hun Lee ... Storm Shadow
Karolina Kurkova ... Courtney A. Kreiger / Cover girl (rumored)

Directed by:
Stephen Sommers

Writing credits
Stuart Beattie (screenplay)
Skip Woods (screenplay)

Produced by:
Lorenzo di Bonaventura .... producer
Bob Ducsay .... producer
Brian Goldner .... executive producer
JoAnn Perritano .... co-producer
Stephen Sommers .... producer
David Womark .... executive producer

And guess who (or what) is making a special appearance? Hummer!!! Being originally a military vehicle, it comes as no surprise that the Hummer will make an appearance in the movie. Sadly, the concept car Hummer HX won’t be featured in the movie. I read about this particular piece of disappointing information online, but I don’t want to let that bring the movie down. As long as there are Humvees there, I’m ok with it.

I’ve got a couple of issues with the cast, though. Channing Tatum as Duke? No way! He’s supposed to be second in command of the Joe’s, and he’s a first sergeant at that, not a kid. Even a toy Duke looks more manly than Channing Tatum. And I don’t even care if he has a huge following. They would’ve been better off casting Mark Wahlberg or John Cena. Also, at first, I had difficulty imagining Joseph Gordon-Levitt palying the role of Cobra Commander. But the more I think about it, the more I believe that it is actually a good idea. There is nothing more vile and evil (in a movie) than a kid who is corrupted by revenge, greed and malicious intent. Although, I don’t think he can pull off the voice. Also, interchange Rachel Nichols and Sienna Miller’s roles. I think that would work better. Brendan Fraser as Gung-Ho? What’s so gung-ho about him? Forget it. Better not include the character in the movie.

Things that I’m looking forward to seeing are a fight scene between Quick Kick and Storm Shadow and Storm Shadow against Snake Eyes along with appearances from Sgt. Slaughter and the Renegades, just like in the 1980’s movie. Now that would bring back very good memories of the past.

0 comments: