“If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Five Cars That Make Me Say “Whoa!”

There are millions of cars on the streets today and there are probably a million more in production. It can be a daunting task to pick among that many and list down one’s favorites, but today I feel that I’m up to the task so here goes...


1. Hummer H1

First on my list is the Hummer. If a vehicle impresses Arnold Schwarzenegger, then consider me its fan. It is said that it’s the Governator himself who is responsible for asking AM General Corporation to mass-produce a civilian version of the Humvee. And the fact that its design is taken from military vehicles used during Operation Desert Storm blows me away, its over-all stance is very imposing yet stylish. In fact, you can drive it around in the city, or you can tackle harsh off-road trails with it. It is fitted with off-road equipment and accessories that can take on even the harshest trail. It all boils down to that. It is a man’s car. And I bet any man will scrap their boring car if they’re given a Hummer.


2. Lamborghini Diablo SV

Opening and closing those wing-doors are enough reason to own a Diablo. It is the definitive Lamborghini, with the Gallardo coming in close second. It’s not only the V12 engine that will power you up; the revving sound of the engine is loud enough to raise your hair on end. Some people would advise you against driving it in the evening, especially in a quiet neighborhood. But Nah! Never mind them. Anyway, annoyed people can’t catch up to you once you step on the gas pedal. When it was first introduced, it drew a lot of praise. Just when you thought that is all there is to the Diablo, Lamborghini still continued to improve it. The result? The number two spot on my list.


3. 1974-1976 Ford Torino

I’ve seen pictures of the Ford Torino in car magazines when I was a boy, but I only took a keen interest in it after I saw the movie Starsky and Hutch. The Torino was elevated to cult status overnight by the success of the movie. And me, I may not be able to afford a classic Ford but I can definitely repaint my stock car to look like a Torino. I can see it now in bright red and white stripes. And maybe I’m gonna add a hood scoop in order to give it a more mean look. It’s all good.


4. 1974-1978 Ford Mustang

I have to classify this one, because not all Mustangs suit my taste. I only like the first and second generations. The rest does not say American muscle; they’re more like conventional cars, and there’s nothing special about that. But the first two generations define power. Not that the newer ones don’t. It’s just that they don’t look that powerful. Back in those days, you can take a stock Mustang and race it against modified cars and still win. It helps if you have nitrous kits fitted to your vehicle, or several other performance parts like a cold air intake which greatly complements the sound the engine makes when it is being driven. It is a must-have for every car enthusiast.


5. 2003 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe

Number 5 on my list was really neck in neck. I was leaning a bit towards the Chevrolet Camaro, but the Corvette edged it out. First, the Corvette is one of the oldest cars in production. Second, the ZR1 which will come out in 2009-2010 is rumored to have a supercharged engine capable of producing as much as 620 hp, 200 hp more than the new Camaros. Lastly, the name Corvette refers to a warship, while a Camaro is French slang for companion. Need I say more?

0 comments: