“If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Friday, March 14, 2008

Eye-Catchers and Jaw-Droppers at the ’08 NAIAS

I wasn’t able to go to Detroit during the opening of 2008 North American International Auto Show, although a few years back I promised myself I would again attend one of those. I remember my friends bugging me about goin’ on a road trip so we can be at the opening. Unfortunately, I was held up at work. They went without me and took a lot of pictures. I even saw some glued on my friend’s desk at his office cubicle. It’s been weeks since the ’08 NAIAS, but this is the first time I actually looked for pictures of the concept cars, as well as the new vehicle models. I figured they won’t be uploaded that soon. I came upon a website, allpar.com, that had a lot of impressive pictures taken by someone named Gregg R. Groff and Marc Rozman. I again came up with my top 5, and here they are:

Hummer HXGiven my penchant for Hummers, It comes as no surprise that the Hummer HX is first on my list. It has an imposing front-end as is typical of Hummers, but this one beats the rest. It looks like it could tow a tank. In fact, this picture reminds me of the stealthy and deadly Batmobile featured in “Batman Begins”. Added features are removable roof and doors.

Jeep RenegadeThis concept car is years from coming out of the factory lines; that’s to say it’s far from completion. It’s not very practical, given that it has no roof, side windows and a weather-proof door. Nevertheless, it looks better than most of the concept cars in the recent auto-show.

Jeep Wrangler UnlimitedOne look at the Wrangler Unlimited is enough to tell you that it can weather any off-road trail, especially if it’s fitted with after-market off-road enhancements. It has one mean look that would make any man want to buy it. It’s great for drives to the beach, back-country roads and maybe even across deserts. It would beat the other Wranglers by a mile once it goes out in production (if ever, that is!), but that just my personal opinion. But my friends actually think I’m spot on with my prediction. But that’s maybe because most them are off-road enthusiasts.

MMC GalantThis is an early model of the newest Mitsubishi Galant. And it’s on my list because of the fact that I like cars that are reminiscent of the classic cars produced between the ‘50s and the ‘70s. It actually brings to mind the original Mustang design, although I couldn’t see if it indeed resembles the first or the second generation Mustangs because the picture taken above was of the back-view. Maybe because the one who took the photo wanted to get the shot of the GTO logo above the license plate, which in itself can attract would-be buyers in the future. Judging by the looks of it, I think it packs a mean punch.

Dodge ViperPersonally speaking, it wouldn’t be to an auto show if there were no Dodge vehicles included. Yes! Detroit would still host one, but I’d bet it’ll just be a collection of lousy cars. The above photo is of the modified Viper. The 2008 Dodge Viper, particularly the SRT still has the standard 8.4 L Aluminum V10 engine. It is able to produce as much as 600 hp and 560 lb.-ft of torque. It can accelerate to 60 mph in just four seconds, and 100 mph in under 12 seconds. If that doesn’t impress you, then what will?

I wasn’t able to personally see the cars but I think the 2008 NAIAS had a pretty impressive lineup of new models and concept cars. It’s such a shame I wasn’t able to go there. Note to self: Next year, better attend the NAIAS or you’ll miss half of your life.

0 comments: